The logo of the NHPS is a reproduction of the famous “New Haven Postmaster Provisional” issued by the New Haven postmaster, Edward A. Mitchell. Congress authorized the prepayment of letters, effective July 1st, 1845, but the first US stamps were only issued on July 1st, 1847. During that interim period, a few postmasters including Mr. Mitchell, created their own stamps or stamped envelopes. Only eleven New Haven Provisionals are known to have survived and their catalog values range from $60,000-$100,000. In 1932 the NHPS purchased the original handstamp and donated it to the New Haven Colony Historical Society.